Health care workers, emergency workers and educators - we cannot care for others safely if we do not look after ourselves. Groups at Tempo help you build knowledge and develop practical tools to connect with yourself - your feelings, your physical states and your needs - so that you can cultivate a restorative practice of self care within a community of peers who will encourage and back you.
With the support of a confidential and understanding group of peers, you will be invited to explore approaches offering self exploration, connection with others and ways to support yourself through this time of stress.
Experiences and practical learning
There will be space for:
- Self reflection, whole group discussion and work in pairs.
- Sharing your own experiences (if you do not want to share you don’t have to, but you will get more out of the experience if you do).
And opportunities to practice and explore:
- Focused music listening
- Breathing exercises
- Approaches to relaxation
- Guided imagery
as a way to connect, understand and recover.
I'm not an Artist or Musician. Does that matter?
Using creative arts in these groups is part of a process of getting to know yourself. You don’t have to be an artist or a musician to benefit from these therapies. In fact, I often encourage people to imagine they are 3 years old when drawing to remove the pressure to ‘perform’.
Am I a good fit for group therapy?
- Would like to explore and develop a practice to help you to rest and relax
- Are proactive in seeking ways to look after yourself
- Have an interest in connecting with others to share and learn
- Are looking for ways to support yourself that are not only talk-focused
- Need extra support to care for yourself
- Would like to have a confidential space to share your worries with others who understand
Then you’ll get a lot out of this group.
If you are experiencing extreme distress, individual support may be a better option for you - please let me know if you would like to find out more.
What will I need for online group therapy?
- A private and comfortable space
- A good internet connection, a compatible device and earphones
- Somewhere that you can lie down or lounge during music listening, relaxation inductions and guided imagery (think warmth, comfort, cushions)
- Art materials (I can send these to you if you like)
- For more information about the best set up for online group therapy including infographic) see the Tempo blog here .
How the group program works
1. Schedule a 30 minute one-on-one session
A paid one on one session gives us the time we need to:
- Understand where you’re coming from and where you want to be.
- Give you ideas and resources that you can start working with right away.
- Discover whether or not group therapy is the right service for you right now.
- And, if so, which group program fits your needs best.
- Cost of the 1:1 session ($79) comes off total cost if you go join the group program *
2. Join the group
If we determine that a group program is the best way forward, you'll be ready join to the relevant program. A security deposit will hold your spot, and the remainder is payable on the first day of the group. If you need a payment plan, let me know and we can work something out.
3. Individual check-ins
I have organised the group programs so that there are opportunities for you and I to check-in for 30 minutes to see how you are going. In addition to the initial individual session, there will also be another individual session are offered. This is an important way for us to make sure that your needs are being met. An appointment half way or towards the end of the program is ideal, but you are welcome to book these at any time that suits you. You are able to access the appointments for up to 6 weeks following the end of the group program.
4. Group Fees
6 week group program
Cost of $597 for:
- 6 x 90 minute group sessions
- 2 x 30 minute individual check-in sessions for use during the program and for up to 6 weeks following the end of the group program
- weekly practical exercises to support your practice
A security deposit of $199 is required to hold your spot.
The remaining $398 is payable on the first week of the group.
* If you have the relevant cover, you can claim private health insurance rebates with:
- Police Health
- Emergency Services Health
- St Lukes Health
- Medibank Private
EAP support and NDIS funding may also be available.
Please contact me or your provider to see if you are eligible or of you have any questions.