NOURISH: a 6 week program for HEALTH & EDUCATION professionals. Get out of your head and into your body, to find the space you need to nourish yourself.
Small Group Program
7.30 - 9pm
Feb 15, 2022 - Mar 22, 2022
Online on Zoom (end to end encryption for your privacy and security).
How to get out of your head and into your body, to find the space you need to nourish yourself.
$597 (private health rebates & Employee Assistance Program support may apply). Payment plans & partial scholarships available ($199 x 3).Jump on the waiting list here!
Well, hello and welcome!
Please put up your weary feet and know that I see you still pushing through after two of the hardest years in this work.
It's been a massive couple of years - and most of us were exhausted even before COVID hit.
I'm Minky van der Walt, a trauma therapist and Registered Music Therapist with 20+ years of experience in supporting families and workers in schools, hospitals, early childhood centres, child protection and other community services.
I'm also someone who knows the impact of this work.
I'm on a mission to support health and education professionals like you, so that you can carve out some space for yourself, and step out of your current state of moving at a million miles an hour, or to support you to come back from a state of feeling numb and shutdown.
I am passionate about showing clever, competent teachers and health professionals who shine in their work, that you don't have to drown in overwhelm because
- you don't want anyone to know you're struggling
- you're embarrassed
- you've tried to get help before and it didn't work
I'm here to say:
You matter. And you don't have to do this alone.
Your work matters.
But, this time, you need to come first.
Let me show you a way that is different to what you've tried before.
NOURISH is the best way that I know to help you to get through the last bit of this year with support, clarity, rest, and connection to yourself; so that you can create the space that you need, AND generate a sense of calm for yourself, your family and for those you are trying to support at work.
This 6 week program is for you if you are ready to move from:
- brain fog to clarity
- feeling lonely to supported
- feeling constantly squeezed for time to being able to make space for you, AND
- step out of the hamster wheel of racing thoughts, & move into connection with YOU - your body, your feelings, your needs
Minky is naturally empathic and warm with clients, putting people at ease and creating a sense of support and safety. I have always admired her ability to integrate her skills in music therapy, psychotherapy and trauma-informed practice. She has a solid theory base and is continually developing her practice.
Before we go any further, I want you to know that your safety and confidentiality is at the heart of this program...
- This is a small group of other health professionals and educators from around the country who are going through similar experiences, AND understand the vulnerability and courage required in this space. There is deep respect for this.
- You only share what YOU feel comfortable sharing.
- We all negotiate the terms of confidentiality within the group.
- Baseline essentials are 1) what's said in the group stays in the group and 2) Respectful communication at all times. The rest is determined by participants.
- There is a process where each participant has an individual meeting with me prior to the group starting to ensure that participants are a good fit as a group.
- I have 20 years of experience in supporting people of all ages, from all walks of life, with some of the trickiest presentations.
- And I have been facilitating groups for just as long - I know how to be supportive, inquiring and how to manage group dynamics so that you will feel safe.
Your felt sense of safety is at the core of each session.
Past participants have enjoyed many of the experiences, but overwhelmingly it has been the connection with others in a safe space, those who GET IT, that has been most appreciated.
What is involved?
Over the six weeks we will explore the following topics:
- Connecting in with safety (within you, around you & with others)
- Knowing your own nervous system
- Self compassion & somatic resourcing
- Routine, ritual & rest snacks
- What does it mean? Bringing it all together
Each week blends creative arts experiences with learning about interpersonal neurobiology - how your nervous system both protects you and helps you to connect with others - in easy, digestible chunks (I am known for "having a wonderful way of putting theory into easy-to-understand language").
A lot of the content invites you into quiet, inner reflection through connecting in with yourself - your internal world, your feelings, your needs and your body, through
- the breath
- listening to music
- guided imagery
- drawing, and
- gentle movement / body awareness / chair based poses
These are all processes that you will be invited to participate in as you feel comfortable. No writing, music listening, movement or drawing experience is required (don't worry, no making you sing or dance here!).
Some key areas of learning that are woven throughout the program:
- your body and how it responds to stress,
- your nervous system and how it both seeks to protect you and help you to connect with others
- recognising whether you are in fight, flight, freeze or shutdown, and how to support yourself back to a felt sense of safety
- how to build a practice of rest (including short 'rest snacks') through music listening, embodied practices, drawing and writing
- understanding how to match your need with a chosen arts-based or somatic (body-based) support
Creating communities of connection and belonging
You know what you need to do to rest, but putting this into practice amongst the busyness of life can be so hard.
Importantly, we all need connection and community when looking to our wellbeing.
Through NOURISH you will have the support of our group community to share ideas, wins and challenges, and to motivate each other to create space for the rest we all need.
Together we’ll explore music assisted relaxation, mindfulness, breathwork, and embodiment to find techniques you can integrate into daily life.
- Develop awareness of your physical symptoms of stress
- Learn how to engage the breath and the body with a focus of mindfulness and music
- Develop a restorative practice of rest and self care
- Build your capacity for self compassion
- Learn how to tune into your needs and where your boundaries are.
- Find support and connection with others
- Explore and develop inner resources that you can use every day
What do you need?
- a willingness to explore and be vulnerable
- an open mind
- readiness for change
- access to a private space, a computer, tablet or phone, earphones and a cosy set up
- 2 x 30 minute individual sessions with Minky
- 6 x 90 minute group sessions
- opportunities to make space for yourself
- membership of a private facebook group and a weekly 10 minute practice live with Minky
- art materials for use during and following the program
- follow up explorations of music listening, art and embodied experiences that all support you to step towards a PRACTICE of rest and nurture in a guided format
- a weekly music playlist to support your practice
Who should attend this program?
Managers, health professionals, teachers, emergency service workers, carers - anyone in a helping role who is feeling exhausted and looking for ways to find support, clarity and rest.
Why would I attend an online group?
Online groups with Tempo are nothing like the rabbit-in-the-spotlight Hollywood cliches you might be imagining. They are more of a cosy, snoozing-cat-type-of-feeling:
First of all, as an online group, you will be in the comfort of your own home. You are encouraged to make your own cocoon space at home - to set this up to be as cosy and comfortable, and joining in as you'd like.
Somehow we’ve come to equate success with not needing anyone. Many of us are willing to extend a helping hand, but we’re very reluctant to reach out for help when we need it ourselves. It’s as if we’ve divided the world into 'those who offer help' and 'those who need help.' The truth is that we are both.
Does this sound like you?
- You want to know how to get out of your head and into your body
- You've tried all the self-help books, talking about it, getting up at increasingly earlier times to exercise, meditate (exhausting)
- You want to join with smart, like-minded peers who are great at their job in a confidential and safe space that allows you to be vulnerable (without dancing around the table naked).
- You want to step lightly, rather than fall, across the finish line heading into Christmas
- You are exhausted, overwhelmed and in brain fog and would like to develop a nourishing practice of deep rest and connection with yourself
If so, please join us!
You can attend from the comfort of your armchair, couch, or even from your bed (seriously this has happened more than once in previous groups!)
These group programs have been organised so that there are opportunities for you and Minky to have an individual check-in for 30 minutes at the beginning and at the end of the program.
The initial session gives us the time we need to:
- Understand where you’re coming from and where you want to be.
- Give you ideas and resources that you can start working with right away.
- Make sure that this is the right service for you right now.
There will also be one other individual session offered at the end of the program. This is an important way for us to make sure that your needs are being met. You are able to access the appointments for up to 6 weeks following the end of the group program.
If you have the relevant cover, you can claim private health insurance rebates with:
- Police Health
- Emergency Services Health
- St Lukes Health
- Medibank Private
EAP support and NDIS funding may also be available.
Please contact me or your provider to see if you are eligible or of you have any questions.
Please note: in signing up for Tempo events you are subscribing to the Tempo Therapy & Consulting newsletter so that we can contact you with all the information you need. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Header image: David Clode